Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Self esteem and job hunts don't mix.

If you ever want to feel great about yourself.. DONT job hunt.

Seriously.

My self esteem has taken the worst hit ever lately as I find myself passed over and ignored in my quest for gainful employment.

I really don't get it to be completely honest with you. I'm not the world's greatest find, but I've had some really decent jobs and I'm not exactly entry level so you'd think getting a job as a cashier wouldn't be such a task.

Alas, I'm having a hard time.

I know it's not about my timing and my perfect job and that something will come along... but I'd be lying if I didn't say that it is starting to take it's toll.

I did finally get an email from the job I was aiming for. It's been a few days shy of a month since my interview and I was told I'd hear from them within a week or so. They filled the position. I am assuming for less money than I asked for; but you know what? I'm not going to take minimum wage when A) It's a skilled job (graphic design) and B) I know that I am worth more than that and haven't made that for years.

It's not that I'm looking for excellent jobs either... but here's the thing. I have to consider when I'll be working, how much money I will be making and how much childcare I will have to pay for. It is not beneficial to take a job making 8/hour if I will have to pay a sitter the same amount to be at home with my son. People don't understand that part when they tell me to just go get a job at Burger King. It's not just a matter of getting the first thing you can find, it's about getting something that is worth going to work... otherwise you're working to pay someone else.

I guess I should go back to filling out 2 hour long applications now (that's another rant for another night)....



No comments:

Post a Comment